Thursday, January 15, 2015

A TINY FINISH...

With J moving back home, and space at a premium, Dear Hubby has had to consolidate both his work computer and home computer onto one tiny desk.  Believe me, it is a tight squeeze...but we are more than happy to do anything we can to help J reach his goals. 



A few years ago I had made a rug mug to match the color scheme in my Expanded Sewing Room, now Dear Hubby's Man Cave/My Expanded Sewing Room.  Unfortunately, it is too large to fit on the desk.  So, Dear Hubby asked me to make a tiny "coaster" that will take up minimal room on the desk, but keep the condensation from his ice water from getting all over his paperwork. 

I am sure most of you already know how to make a tiny coaster, but for any newcomers to the sewing/quilting world I thought I would show a quick step by step tutorial of how it is done. 


I figured since Dear Hubby wanted it "tiny" I would look through my assorted 5" charm squares for two coordinating fabrics.  The room is black and gray with bright happy colors throughout.  For this project I picked two charms and a scrap of Warm and Natural batting from my scrap bucket.



I placed the batting on the bottom with one charm square facing right side up and the other charm square facing right side down on top of it. 


I then used my rotary cutter and a small ruler to trim the batting flush with the edges of the charm squares.


I pinned all around the charm square packet, leaving about a 2" opening for turning.


Using about a 1/4" seam I sewed all the way around the coaster, backstitching at the beginning and end of my opening.


I then trimmed all four corners, being careful not to cut into the stitching.


I then turned the coaster inside out and sewed a scant seam all the way around, being sure to catch the opening in the fabrics, which had been turned under and finger pressed in place.


See the wad of black thread at the corner?  Not good.  I could have avoided that by beginning my stitching more toward the center of the side so that my machine did not get caught up at the edge of the fabric when I began sewing.  But, since this is simply a small coaster for Dear Hubby's drinks...perfection isn't required, lol.  


Using a contrasting marking pencil I drew lines from corner to corner to secure the batting to the charm squares.


Ta-Da!...a "tiny coaster" for Dear Hubby's desk.

Sometimes a "tiny" finish is just what I need to get my mojo flowing again.  Next week I hope to get back to working on J's quilt!

Toodles...

2 comments:

  1. Cute! You must have a never ending scrap bag of coordinated colours. Love it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first retired, Ron bought me a large package of assorted charm squares on Ebay and also a large pack of fat quarters. I have been using those bits and pieces for 3 years now and still have lots lore to choose from! Definitely worth the money!

      Delete