Friday, January 31, 2014

JUST A SHORT POST...

Tomorrow will be one week since our basement was flooded by the bursting of a pipe.  Our insurance company sent out a water restoration company and they did a FABULOUS job.  In fact, our insurance company has given permission for them to also fix some of the other damage (ceiling tile replacement, repainting the wall where the wet bookcases stained the drywall, wrapping the pipes to keep them from freezing) because we KNOW they will do a good job and I don't have a "handyman" on call whose work I know.  So, tomorrow the water restoration company will be returning to finish up that work.

Dear Hubby and I are going through all of the damaged "personal property".  I had almost five full bookcases of hard bound books...and a good 65% of them are wet, swollen, moldy and softened...totally beyond repair.  I made a list of them today and will type them up to send to the adjuster.  I also have to send him pictures of the books before I can trash them.  I am waiting for a call from him to determine what I should do with some remaining books (about 10% to 20% of my collection) that don't look very wet, except maybe a tiny stain on the bottom edge, but some of them smell "funky" and I think they are getting mildewy.  There are not many books that have escaped unscathed.

Also, all five bookcases are ruined because they are particleboard...and particleboard swells when it gets wet.  Hubby's desk chair was SATURATED, and while it is now dry...the hydraulic up and down adjustment will not work...and with Dear Hubby's repaired quad tendon tear, unrepaired torn meniscus and arthritis...he needs the hydraulic adjustment.  Also, hubby's printer was wet and J has said that printers do not take well to water and it may be a goner too!

So it has been a mentally and physically exhausting week.  Adding to that, we have had a rather sudden and totally unexplained death of a family member.  I have not seen him in many, many years...but he is several years younger than me, with no known medical condition that would cause sudden death. 

Oh, and in case anyone is keeping count...since November (oops...Oct. 23) "Murphy and his laws" have graced our family with a:
  1. Broken freezer....will cost about $500-$600 to replace and we lost a good $500 worth of food.
  2. Broken garage door opener...will cost about $200-$300 to replace or repair.
  3. Clogged sink....paid $850 to fix
  4. Burst pipe...paid $283 to fix.
  5. Flood in basement....$750 deductible.
  6. Broken refrigerator...paid $220 to fix
  7. Today the car is in the shop...will cost $900+ to fix.
  8. Broken tub drain...our guest bath won't hold water (thank God my Dear Aunt had a shower cap with her)...which we have not even had looked at yet!  
 I feel like I am "treading water" in so MANY ways! Hopefully this will all be a memory within the next couple of weeks and I can get back to "my" normal.  Adding insult to my already high stress level, I have multiple doctors appointments in the next two weeks, have had some abnormal blood tests that may actually point to a diagnosis (after 14 years of seeing doctor after doctor) which is a good thing, but a blood test that is abnormal, unexpected, and upsetting!  Ugh....too much at one time.  Calgon, take me away!

12 comments:

  1. Oh I am hanging...by my fingernails, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This too will pass, and I'm sure it can't pass soon enough for you! Hang in there ... sending good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good thoughts. I am Really ready to kick Murphy to the curb!

      Delete
  3. I think you have worn out Murphy's Law already. As Maggie says, Hang in there. I know things will get better for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murphy has definitely worn out his stay! Good riddance, I hope!

      Delete
  4. Please take care, look after yourself, I hope things improve for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am trying hard to stay calm through all of it.

      Delete
  5. It was really unfortunate that you had to go through so much. I hope things turn out better for you guys soon. The good thing is that experts were able to check and restore your place quickly. You can be rest assured that there are no busted pipes or drainage problems that will pester you. Take care!

    Guadalupe Ellis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and for your support. Yes, we have been through a lot...and at times I do let it get the best of me...but we are so much better off than so many others. I just have to keep reminding myself of my many blessings. Take care!

      Delete
  6. I agree with Ellis. The whole event may have been a blessing in disguise that would improve your house's pipe lines. If you ever experience recurring problems regarding your drainage system, never hesitate to once again call the aid of experts.

    Lorenza Coon

    ReplyDelete