Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Book Bag Caveat...


Dear Hubby and I took our grandson to the public library for the first time on Saturday.  We allowed him to get three books.  However, there was one condition.  I would give him a tote bag and all of his books were to be kept in the bag unless it was physically in his hand being read!  That way, if the books needed to be returned on a day when he was at his bio-dad's house, we could find them to return!  He agreed to this caveat. 

While I could have given him one of the bags Dear Hubby collected over his working career, I felt a new "library user" should have a new, age appropriate, book bag.  I found a piece of fabric left over from his camping quilt and some black web strapping.  Perfect!  In about 30 minutes I had a finished book bag.  I was going to go with the traditional "longer than wide" tote, but could visualize him dragging it on the ground, ripping the bag and damaging the books in the process.  So I made the bag wider than longer.  Even the big books fit comfortably lying on their bindings.  The straps are short enough that he can carry the bag in his hand or on his shoulder if he has read lots of books!  Now to get him into the habit of reading, somewhat difficult in this age of electronics!  Even though his electronic time is limited, he would rather do a thousand other things than pick up a book.  How I hope I can change that preference!!  Maybe the new bag will help???  Fingers crossed!

It was a quick project and he seems to love it!

Toodles...

4 comments:

  1. Very nice book bag. It took our boys a bit of time to get into reading, but now the oldest has a library that is much larger than any I have had.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! At one time I belonged to three different book clubs! Until our basement flooded I had 5 tall bookcases full of hard bound books, and I lost all but a few to water damage. I was heartsick. Come to think of it, I have read very little since, even on my e-reader! Fortunately all of my Agatha Christie and Harry Potter books were in Ron's office upstairs.

      Delete
  2. We are a family of booklovers .. each of our 7 grandchildren LOVES to collect their books from the library on a regular basis. The love of reading started with my mother who would kept a large supply of books on hand and sent her brood of 11 children to the library to get more when the supply ran out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been an avid reader my entire life, as is my daughter-in-law! I sure hope my grandson picks up a love by watching us!

      Delete