Thursday, December 19, 2019

Did You Ever Have One Of THOSE Projects?????


If  you remember, back in September (ish) I made a bolster type pillow for my dear daughter-in-law using a pair of her old sweat pants.  The first night in bed J discovered that the pillow was PERFECT for keeping his neck and shoulder pain free while sleeping.  He has been using it nightly and poor G has pretty much lost custody!  As expected, J asked me for a similar pillow for Christmas (with G vigorously nodding her head in agreement!).  I didn't have enough of the fabric used in G's pillow, so I purchased some camo "sweat pant" material to make one for J and probably one for my grandson as well (if time allowed...it doesn't!).

Above was my FIRST attempt at his pillow.  I had used an inset type of zipper that is sewn into a seam and then the seam is opened to reveal the zipper.  It is the only type of zipper I know how to do, LOL.  Well, I cut the fabric with my seam ripper in two different places and since it would be a visible part of the pillow I ripped out the zipper and canned the first pillow!


With the next pillow I attempted to insert the zipper differently.  Apparently I did a rotten job as the zipper pull part fell off the first time I attempted to zip the form into the pillow case.  Since I only know how to do one type of zipper, there was NO WAY I was going to be able to fix or replace the broken zipper.  Second pillow canned!  Don't worry though, I used parts of the first and second pillows for portions of the third.


Third time's the charm!  While far from perfect  it is DONE!  They say out in the quilting world that "done" is better than "perfect".  I sure hope that translates over to pillows!!  In any case, the dimensions are the same as G's pillow...so J should be happy.  At least he had BETTER be, LOL.  Considering that I whipped out G's pillow in less than 30 minutes I couldn't believe the issues I had with this one.  I will put the blame mostly on the fabric.  It was horrible to unpick (and I used white thread specifically so I could see to unpick the seam).  It took me over an hour to unpick a 16" zipper seam!!!

Anyway, my last Christmas gift is made and I have gotten back my sew-jo (amazing considering all of the troubles with this project).  I have decided to use the remainder of the fabric to MAYBE make my grandson a bolster and to make a bunch more gift bags.  Since they will only be used inside our home and almost half of our family are camo lovers I see it as a great save for this problematic fabric.  Until next time...

Toodles...

1 comment:

  1. I have many of those types of projects. In fact I finished one of them today. I had cut out the collar wrong and since there was no more of this particular sweater knit fabric I had to improvise the neckline. Seemed to work out okay, even if it isn't quite what I wanted.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete