Monday, May 11, 2020

THE SEARCH IS OVER...


...I have finally found my very FIRST sewing machine!!!  I can vividly remember at around age 7-8 having a toy sewing machine that really worked!  I can remember my mom giving me pieces of sheets that she had cut up into rags and I would sew little pouches to hold my jacks, bottle caps, marbles and baseball cards (I was a bit of a tomboy).  I remembered it was a Singer and had red on it.  I also had some conflicting memories...sewing at the kitchen table with it plugged in AND sewing on the driveway without a cord.  One of my memories had to be wrong!

Then yesterday I opened Facebook Marketplace and there it was!!  I had absolutely NO DOUBT that it was the machine of my childhood.  I bought it, wiped the case thoroughly with Clorox wipes and brought her home.  Only when I got home and went to clean the machine with Clorox wipes did I discover that my memories were not wrong!  She can be plugged in OR run with batteries! 

I don't know if she works or not, and it really doesn't matter as I don't intend to use her except for decoration...but seeing her on my hutch brings a HUGE smile to my face!!!  As I get older I find that treasured memories from my childhood mean so much and I really regret having tossed them all as I outgrew them.  There is only one more item left to find, a Shirley Temple doll given to me by a special great aunt shortly after my birth.  I had intended on keeping her but she, and an entire case of 45s, were stolen from the truck when we moved.  Some day I will find her (most likely when I least expect it), just like I found my FIRST sewing machine.

Toodles...

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely find. I am sure it brings back wonderful memories.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above article is nice and interesting, thank you willing to share! Greetings success of admin Cetak Buku Murah wish you deign to visit my website, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete