Wednesday, April 22, 2020

STAYING BUSY HERE AT HOME...



Corona virus has shut down most of our lives.  Period.  But that doesn't mean we have to stop living.  At first I was totally absorbed with adjusting to the loss of my dad (not from Corona)...dealing with my grief, my family's grief and all of the paperwork and phone calls that go along with a death.  But then my focus shifted to becoming "productive" while we shelter in place. 



My first concern was the safety of my family.  I made two masks each for myself, my husband and my grandson.  My son and daughter-in-law had purchased really good reusable masks back in October when they were helping to clean out her grandmother's house.  Since both of them have asthma they needed protection from dust.


Then I mixed up a new supply of hand soap.  We use this soap when using the bathroom and save the harsher, store bought "antibacterial" soap for washing our hands whenever we come back into the house.  After all, the store bought stuff is getting harder and harder to find; and while I know it is full of chemicals (and not necessarily best for my family) I fear Covid 19 more than chemicals!


The myriad changes in our lives have caused a flare of insomnia for my dear daughter-in-law.  I searched my essential oil books and found a "roll on" combination for her to try on the bottoms of her feet at bedtime. I am happy to say that it has helped ease her way to sleep.



Recently, a pillow on my grandson's bed has begun to shred.  Actually, the manufacturer should be ashamed of the poor quality fabric.  So, I did a quick and dirty stitch up and made him an envelope style pillow case.  I let him pick out the fabric and, naturally, it was trucks, LOL!


Almost 2 years ago my son and daughter-in-law were given this beautiful pillow cover.  However, it is not what I would call a "standard" size and they have been unable to find a pillow form to fit.  So...


After replenishing my supply of polyfil (this pillow used up a LOT of fill) I used muslin to make a custom form.  I think it came out great!  I like my pillows to be fairly full but still retain that "squishy" factor.   G is happy with the results!


Right before Easter I made a cute little table mat (for my foyer table) in happy spring colors.  We need some "happy" wherever we can find it these days!



And I have gotten back to an "oldie but goodie", my grandson's quilt.  I am loving every minute of making this quilt, though my body is loudly reminding me that I am old and sick, LOL.  I need to learn moderation.  It is so hard when you are doing something that you love!!!


To keep myself occupied when I am too weak to quilt, I have decided to learn to weave.  Oh My Goodness, the price of rigid heddle looms is WAY more than I would be willing to spend at this point.  What if I really hated it?  My search led to this weaving loom by Martha Stewart.  It was cheap enough that I wouldn't kick myself if I decided it just wasn't for me and the loss taken on reselling it I could live with.  Right now I am making myself a bookmark.  I seem to be having the same problem as a lot of beginners...my sides are curving in.  Oh well, practice makes perfect.  I see a lot of bookmarks being made for family and friends until I overcome this issue, LOL. 





I have also continued to purge through the house and list on Ebay anything that we no longer want or need.  I am happy to say that in spite of this pandemic my sales (especially of thread that my machine no longer likes) have been brisk.  Maybe it is because of the pandemic and the number of "makers" forced to stay indoors?  In any case I am thrilled to pad my bank account and send some of the stuff in this house packing!

In spite of the stay safe at home order I am continuing to be productive and LIVE each day to its fullest.  Now to clean up my sewing room!

Toodles...


2 comments:

  1. Very nice makes Lin. I am glad you are safe, healthy and keeping busy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie! Staying busy is making this quarantine easier!

      Delete