Tuesday, March 30, 2021

What Am I Waiting For?...

 





Many years ago, before I had even met my husband, I had begun my "hope chest".  I was a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding and spent hours pouring over bridal magazines.  I happened upon a beautiful china pattern and an Oneida flatware set that I loved.  I was twenty years old and single, but I figured that at some point I would have a home, whether I remained single or married some day.  I loved them both and I was getting them!!!!  I opened a charge card at a nearby department store and joined their "china club".  Every month I received a place setting or serving piece in my beloved china pattern.  I subsequently joined the Oneida club and began building my flatware.  By the time my husband and I met and eventually got engaged my "good stuff" was completely bought and paid for.  

It stayed in boxes for the next 8 years until we purchased dining room furniture.  And THERE it has sat for almost 28 years!!!  Recently our everyday flatware has begun to show wear.  It probably has many more years left in it...but an idea began to niggle at the back of my brain, "What Am I Waiting For?!?!?"

I pulled all of my everyday flatware out of the drawer and donated it to someone in need.  I am now using my "good" flatware every day!  Isn't it pretty?  I'm sure I won't be using my good china every day, but when my husband and I downsize to just the two of us I plan to use it for holiday dinners, and maybe even Sunday brunches!  At 60 years old I have finally realized that today, tomorrow and every day after that ARE the special days of my life!  

What have I been waiting for?

Toodles...

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!! Pull it all out and use it everyday! Enjoy each meal as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use it. Your flatwear looks a great deal like my Moms. My sister has that now and I have her good china. I need to use it a bit more.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete