Monday, June 10, 2013

I GUESS SOMETIMES YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!




DISAPPOINTED -

Today I went to use my clip on lamp to provide light while crocheting.  I turned it on and immediately heard popping noises.  I quickly unplugged it and when I touched the lightbulb it broke right off and smoke came out of the socket for quite some time afterward.  I stood there ready to toss the entire light into the sink and douse it with water if I saw flames.  I really, REALLY freak out about fire!  I could have tried another bulb just in case it was something wrong with the bulb and not the lamp...but the bulb was brand new and even if it did work I would never feel safe using the lamp again.  Needless to say, my $8 clip on lamp is now in the trash as is the brand new bulb I had put into it.  Eight bucks, plus, wasted...

"Sigh"...live and learn...  I doubt I will EVER by another electrical device at the thrift shop...

12 comments:

  1. We buy the clip on lamps all the time at our thrift stores. We never have had problem. At least, not yet.

    I freak out about fire, too. I'm glad you are safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess maybe I was just unlucky? Like I said, could have been the bulb, but since that was brand new and light was used I worry more about the safety of the lamp. The palpitations I had for the first few minutes after the pop and smoke was more than enough to keep me a fair distance from other electrical stuff, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you still have a receipt? Perhaps you could take it back and get a refund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately our thrift shop has a no return policy.

      Delete
    2. Bummer. I'd mention it to them anyway ... they might not do anything, but they should know...

      Delete
    3. Good idea. I will mention it when I go on Saturday. thanks!

      Delete
  4. Glad that you didn't have a fire from the faulty lamp. They do have some clip on lamps at Walmart that really are not that expensive. Perhaps try one of these out next.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my name is Linda and I live in Australia just wanted to let you know I have just started reading your blog I am glad you didn't start a fire wi th your lamb my mum always says you get what you pay for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Welcome! My lamp....Ugh....I was panicky for those few minutes! I am SO glad I didn't have to deal with flames!

      Reading me from Australia! Wow! Beautiful country, I hear! My future daughter-in-law's aunt just moved there about a year ago. My son tells me how much she loves it. I don't know if I could live there, though. I HATE spiders and from what I hear yours are even bigger than ours, lol!

      Thanks for stopping by! Take care...
      Lin

      Delete
  6. I wonder if the bulb's wattage was too high for the lamp. They explode when that's the case. It would be a shame to waste a good lamp. Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tag inside the lamp said 60 watt and that is what we bought brand new to put into it. Better safe than sorry!

      Delete