Friday, November 1, 2013

GOODBYE HALLOWEEN....HELLO....WINTER?

Ooooohhhh....it is nasty, horrid and miserable outside the Cottage window this morning!  It is raining with blustery winds...and It. Is. DARK!  The sky has just gained enough bluish glow that I can begin to see the shapes of trees, cars and houses!  Up until a few moments ago it was pitch black!  Eeeek!  I'm used to seeing sunlight by 7:15 AM. 

Like Halloween, I guess summer is really and truly over (not that I mind Halloween being over...I hate the holiday, lol).  J just calls me a "weirdo" when I tell people I can't wait for it to be here and gone!  Now that the Famous Amos cookies are given out to all of the little ghosts and goblins, the Holiday countdown really begins!  I am SO far behind this year.


BUT, Mom's quilt is finally a flimsy!  Once again, I apologize for the horrible photo.  I was teetering on the step-stool again to get this picture.  I can't WAIT for a design wall!  I just have to trim the jump threads, give it a quick lick with the iron and I'm ready to sandwich.  Wait a minute!  Ummmm.....backing?  Oops, looks like I forgot to buy it!  If the weather ever calms down I will head to Walmart to buy a queen sized flat brown sheet.  I really like using sheets for the backing as I know they will wear well and there are less seams for little toes to get caught in.  Besides, I like to save my scraps for other projects instead of burying them on the back of a quilt, lol. 

Dear Hubby just yelled up the steps to remind me we have to leave for our eye doctor appointments.  Dang, I forgot I was going to have to go out in this mess.  Hubby says it looks "spooky" outside.  Yup, that describes it perfectly (shiver)!

Stay warm, and dry, my friends....



8 comments:

  1. Nice!! Many is the time I use old sheets for backing on my quilts as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am going against the growing trend here, but I just can't imagine why you would want to waste your good material on the BACK of the quilt...unless you wanted it to be reversible? The very first quilt I made is backed in muslin. In fact I think my second quilt is too! Plus if you can find a sheet at the thrift store it is WAY cheaper than you pay per yard for 100% cotton in a fabric store! I will buy a sheet at Walmart since this is a gift, but I would have no qualms with using a thrift store sheet to back something for our home!

      Delete
  2. You got our weather. My city had to postpone trick-or-treating because of the storms. Nicer weather headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was surprisingly warm when the storms finally stopped. Glad to hear it may stay this way tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good news is you didn't have to go by yourself! Your mom's quilt top is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God for my wonderful husband. He takes me wherever I need to go and always thinks of taking care of me first. He is a wonderful man and an even better husband! Thank you for your comment on the quilt...I'm falling more and more in love with it!

      Delete
  5. Lin the quilt is just beautiful -- and I love the embroidery border -- I had to go back a few posts to see the details but you did a fantastic job on it. We are just north of the PA border in NYS. Windy, cold and damp day that it is... Great day to stay inside and sew! Thanks for stopping by the blog and commenting and have a wonderful day! Karen on Keuka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have had so much fun with this quilt...and I love combining the machine embroidery and piecing. I think it will be showing up in a lot more of my quilts, lol. We are breezy, cool and SUNNY today. A good day to do "outdoor" things...thus my hubby is cleaning out the garage and rearranging everything to get our two cars back in the garage for winter. It is AMAZING how much stuff multiplies in there, lol!

      Delete