Monday, May 28, 2018
In less than 5 months our Dear Son will be marrying the Love Of His Life. I will be throwing a Bridal Shower for G at the end of July. Because of the amount of people, I will be having it catered at an outside venue. The owner of the banquet hall asked me if I would be providing centerpieces for the tables. That got me to thinking. What could I do that would make the centerpieces truly special and show this wonderful young woman just what she means to me? The answer had arrived months earlier in the form of an email from Embroidery Library. As the bridesmaids are wearing wine colored gowns, I would embroider a single wine colored flower as the central focus of each floral arrangement.
Oh boy, I had no idea how much work I was facing! Each flower consists of 6 separate lace sections that need to be sewn together by hand to form the finished product. I anticipated lots of BandAids in my future, but I had failed to anticipate just how LONG each embroidery would take...and the amount of supplies I would need! Each embroidered flower uses a almost one 850 yard spool of thread and I was going through Sulky Fabri-Solvy stabilizer like there was no tomorrow! I had been taught to cut my stabilizer slightly larger than my hoop for each embroidery. What a waste of stabilizer!
Instead, I cut a LONG strip of stabilizer and hooped it at the top with the remainder adequately supported by my chair. I embroidered the second largest set of petals.
When that was finished, I simply moved my needle down to the lower portion of the hoop. I made sure to check the embroidery field for size to make sure it wouldn't stitch over the previous embroidery.
I moved to the far left corner for the smallest embroidery.
By keeping the large piece of stabilizer uncut, I am able to "rehoop" each section closer to the one before...saving stabilizer and money!!!
I have 5 flowers embroidered with a minimum of 3 more to go...although I would prefer 5 more to give me 3 flowers to use in the arrangement in the foyer of the venue. How many hours until July???
Sleepless (BUT EXCITED) in PA
Wednesday, May 16, 2018
I don't have much to show you right now because I have been spending all of my free time working on favors and centerpieces for my wonderful future Daughter-in-Law's bridal shower. One of the things I am sewing/embroidering requires the use of Sulky Fabri-Solve wash away stabilizer. I found it to be much cheaper buying it "by the yard". However, when I opened my bag after arriving home I discovered that there was nothing marking the type of stabilizer I had purchased. Ooooohhhh there are just too many types of stabilizer for me to be able to recognize them on sight!
I remembered seeing someone use a toilet paper roll to make a label that would wrap around the stabilizer. Thankfully a cardboard roll had just become available, LOL. Thirty minutes later it was covered with some funky bright fabric and wrapped around the stabilizer. A cheap, cute and useful solution!
Monday, May 7, 2018
This past year has been hard for me. Really, REALLY hard! After losing my precious Mom almost thirteen months ago I had basically stopped "living". Oh, I was going through the motions and doing what I had to do to continue to be there and support my family...but I was just "existing" not LIVING. For some reason, a few weeks ago all of that changed. Was it the change in the weather? The one year anniversary of her death? A gentle nudge from my family? I don't honestly know. Whatever the reason, I feel like a pall has lifted and there is so much living I want to do!
First off...I want to get back to my creating! I moved my big vacation sewing kit to the floor next to "my spot" on our new furniture and my small travel sewing kit (pictured above) closer to the front door. I've been taking this kit with me whenever an errand entails "sitting time" and have been producing a few hexies here and there. At night while watching tv I've been adding the white row to the first hexie diamond. It feels good!
And speaking of our new furniture, these old pillows just don't match!!!!! I considered throwing them out or trying to sell them, but then I would have to spend money to replace them. Nope, not going to happen! I could try to cut off the tapestry, but I am pretty sure that there is no "form" underneath and all of the fill would come pouring out. Scratch another idea. I could make a pretty pillow cover to match the new furniture, but a pillow with colors as rich as these would definitely need more than the usual 100% quilting cotton to cover up the design. Hmmmm.
What else do I have lots and lots of??? Denim! It will cover the colors completely and will wear like iron (a necessity in a house where pillows are butt cushions, head cushions, tablet/computer supports, fort walls and the random projectile launched at a family member in a pop up pillow war!) Yes, we have FUN at our house!
A little bit of slicing and dicing and the center rows of all four pillow covers are taking shape. Sorry, you can only see two here, LOL.
I will continue alternating colors to form a courthouse steps block. I plan to add batting and quilt the front before fashioning an envelope back. Lots more to do, but I am excited to be making something new for our new furniture...and doing it at NO COST is the icing on the cake! More to come...
Friday, May 4, 2018
It took longer than expected, but I am finally finished a mat for my diffusers!
I still need to make a handful of button holders to contain my stash in these cubbies. One of these days...
Everything back in its place and on to the next project!!!