Wednesday, May 1, 2019

TWO FINISHES AND INCREASED FRUGAL ENDEAVORS...


It's FINISHED!  The afghan that I have been working on for  5-6 years is now stored under the desk next to our loveseat.  It is out of the way, yet easily accessible when needed.



When I had finished the colored rows, I added three rows of single crochet in gray around the perimeter.  Did the gray totally obscure the obvious imperfections?  Not completely.  Do I care?  Not at all!!  My beautiful creation is colorful, warm, cozy...and big enough to cover Dear Hubby and I together, from neck to toes, while we sit on the loveseat watching TV.  This thing is HUGE and HEAVY!!  I think it will be a year or more before our grandson can wrangle it from under the desk to the sofa.  But that is okay....he has four big people in this house who love him and are always willing to help!


My second finish was the St. Patty's Day table topper for my foyer.  Ugh...the blood, sweat and tears that went into this finish were ridiculous!!  I don't know WHY I had to continue with my original plans when a miss-cut meant my original binding plan was going to be hard, if not totally impossible.  I should have said "bag it" and cut all four sides evenly and made a separate binding instead of folding over the backing to make the binding.  I wanted to avoid the hassle of ending a sewn on binding.  Bindings are my "quilter's block".  So I soldiered on with salvaging the short cut backing.  Sometimes I am a stubborn idiot!!!  In at least one spot I missed sewing the teeny, tiny folded edge.  Oh well.  As they say, "Better finished than perfect!"  I will use this topper, as is, for as many years as it holds together.  When the time comes that the binding has frayed and no longer holds, I will schedule a long date with "Jack"(the ripper) to pull out all of the stitches and bind it the right way.  Who knows, maybe by then I will have at least partially perfected the binding technique!


Well, it's official!  Dear Hubby emailed his notice of retirement on Sunday night.  His last day of work will be 7 June 2019.  You would not believe the relief I feel.  The stress he has had to endure over the last year or so has been monumental.  If we were in our 20's I would still be worried with the toll the stress was taking, but in our golden years??  I've been petrified that I would lose the love of my life because of a JOB.  It's not that his employer has been worse than any other, it's just that today's economic climate has meant more work with fewer bodies. People who leave are not replaced and the conscientious workers are on a treadmill struggling to keep up.  For those employees with no work ethic, they are barely fazed.  There are just more deadlines missed and work falling by the way-side.  Who knows, maybe they are handling things the right way.  But, for my husband, myself, our family and many of our friend's and acquaintances...duties by the wayside are unacceptable.

Now for the next stressor...will we REALLY have enough to live on?  You know, everything looks better on paper!  In an effort to hone our frugal skills and kick that stressor to the curb, I have begun cutting coupons and matching them to sales at our local markets.  I have increased the number of money back sites where I scan our receipts and get points back toward e-gift cards.  Today I requested a $3 e-card to Amazon by redeeming points.  On another site, I scanned enough receipts today to qualify for another $3 Amazon e-card, once my receipt has processed.  Dear Hubby and I have traded in our old American Express card for a newer card which offers much higher reimbursement points, which we have set up to convert to cash at Amazon.  We get all of our gas, groceries, medications, etc. through our AmexCard.  We pay off the balance monthly (unless it is home or car repair too expensive to swing at one time), so the converted points are truly free money on Amazon!

Around the house I'm making some changes also.  At the moment our HVAC system is turned off (I prefer open windows and "real air" anyway).  I've done two large loads of laundry today (in cold water), so as to reduce the amount of water and electricity used with four medium sized loads (I sometimes forget that this washer and dryer have a much bigger capacity!).  I've even begun entering contests where the prize is something I could use when sewing or making quilts.  I know the chance of winning is slim, but all it took was five minutes of my time to maybe provide free supplies for my hobby.  I've also begun listing items purged from our home on both Facebook Marketplace and Ebay.  After almost 34 years of marriage our home is bursting at the seams with unnecessary "stuff"...potential money collecting dust!  I have also renewed my library card and had it hooked up to their e-book and audio book sites.  When Dear Hubby is not home I sit on the loveseat and listen to an audio book through my tablet and the TV stays off.  Energy saved!

That's about all I can think of at the moment.  I know there are more "changes" and "frugal endeavors" happening around here.  Maybe I will remember when I post next. 

Until then,
Toodles...


8 comments:

  1. Your crochet blanket is beautiful, and so is the topper!! Really no one is perfect and if I find myself actually making something perfectly I always make a small mistake.

    I worried about having enough to live on as well when Harvey retired, but we do quite well with even the occasional overseas trip thrown in.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I have you the success of you and your hubby's success to calm my nerves!! I feel I can do something about our bills much more than Dear Hubby can, as he is not the type to search out rebates, refunds, etc. and REFUSES to use coupons! Thank you, I absolutely LOVE my blanket. It started out wide enough for a queen bed (original intention) but I adapted it to work in the family room as a "snuggly".

      Delete
  2. My husband's last day before retirement is May 24th .. seems the reasons for leaving work are basically the same. We are excited for this new phase in life! .. although I will continue to work for a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I was forced to retire in 2011 due to illness. Dear Hubby worried then that we "couldn't make it" without my salary. We are doing fine and I'm sure with work at being frugal we can "make it" now. Tell your hubby "congratulations"!

      Delete
    2. Beautiful afghan, Lin. As usual, you do great work. I wish Ron all the best On his retirement, it is well deserved.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Terry! I sure miss talking to you and Jan every day but it seems that in this season of my life spare time is nonexistent. In the past few weeks all of us have been sick at least once...Justin 3 separate times with one ER visit and one urgent care visit, Gabby with two doctor visits, the little guy with one dr visit, and my dad with an ER visit. At this moment he is in the hospital. It is never ending!

      Delete
  3. Is it just me getting older or do the 'employees with no work ethic' seem to be increasing in number? My husband is under huge pressure at work, while youngsters he is told are 'the future of the company' leave early and think nothing of turning in work that is only half done, so that others have to complete it for them. I constantly worry about the strain he is under. Your husband has made a good decision and I wish you both well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our economic future in this country is doomed. It seems like companies are making the WORST possible decisions, INTENTIONALLY! They couldn't really be stupid enough to believe the decisions are good ones! I often wonder if they don't want the knowledgeable, conscientious workers there AT ALL because with their knowledge and ethics they would want things done "right", not the lazy, no work ethic way that seems to be the norm these days.

      Delete