J wore the coat for about a week and it became apparent that my "fix" was not going to hold. J told me to fix it "anyway you can", it was only his work coat to wear into the freezers and he didn't care how it looked.
I pulled out my Liquid Stitch and cut a piece of thin white cotton a little bit bigger than the large frayed area. I applied the glue liberally, added the cotton patch and watched as the glue soaked through the threads and the cotton. After allowing it to dry for 24 hours I cut a piece of beige denim 1/2" bigger all around than the white cotton. I applied Liquid Stitch to the whole back of the denim and glued it on top of the white cotton.
A day or two after I finished J's mending my mom brought over her robe. Once again, sorry no pictures! The zipper and part of the collar had come unsewn. Mom had attempted to hand stitch it back together (don't ask me why when I gave her my "first" sewing machine a few years ago), but with the first washing her mending failed. A zipper gets too much pulling and stressing for hand stitching to be very permanent.
So, while mom sat in my rocker and we talked, I mended her robe. It only took about 10 minutes. It would have gone a lot quicker had I not been having a bad "tremor" day, but it was only about six inches of sewing so I could soldier through...stopping every few stitches to try to get control of my hands. Another article of clothing saved and yet another mending experience to add to my repetoir!