Monday, November 24, 2014

COVER UP THE UGLY WITH CRAFTINESS...



A few months ago (at least I think it was that long ago) I was in my favorite thrift store browsing.  I came across this adorable bright pink metal ice bucket with scoop attached!  I was in LOVE.  The pink would go perfectly with the color of the buttons in my expanded sewing room rug and I happen to have a bit of a "thing" for metal containers...so I was SOLD!  I have read over and over again on the web how crushed walnut shells are the best material for filling handmade pincushions.  I have hesitated to use them simply because of the "mess".  This bucket, however, would be a fun way to store the shells and keep them from migrating all over my room.  I handed over my money and almost skipped my way to the car (notice I said "almost"...you wouldn't want to see me try to skip, lol). 

Unfortunately, when I tried to remove the packing tape that the store had used to attach the lid and scoop (incredibly slowly and carefully), the paint came off.  To say I was upset is a gross understatement!  It wasn't the money, it was the destruction of my "perfect" little container that brought me near to tears.  The perfectionist in me considered tossing the bucket, but I couldn't part with  my new purchase!  I was, after all, in LOVE with its little pink cuteness. 

After calling the store to inform them how their "packaging" had ruined my purchase and suggesting they use painter's tape from now on, I perched my little bucket on the file cabinet while it waited to be filled. 



 Oh yes, it was still CUTE, but the missing paint glared at me every time I entered the room! 


The paint was missing most drastically from  the side where the scoop hung.  I had intended to turn the scoop toward the back anyway, but the tiny mark on the front still caught my eye.  After weeks of staring at the damage, an idea began to niggle at my brain.  A few years ago, while surfing the net, I discovered a very talented lady named Lucy and her wonderful blog, "Attic 24".  Lucy's love is crochet and her designs are always so bright and HAPPY!  My cheeks hurt from smiling every time I visit her blog!  Generously, Lucy shares numerous free tutorials.  One of her tutorials was for "Teeny Tiny Flowers".   She had combined these teeny, tiny crocheted flowers and buttons to make an adorable brooch to wear on her coat.

The wheels in my head began to turn.  Hmmmm...if I glued a magnet to the back of her "brooch" maybe I could use the little posy flowers to cover the damage on my bucket!



It took me multiple days to crochet the tiny flowers and leaves, but I am "thrilled" with how they add a pop of color and cuteness to my container...while covering the missing paint!





Even though the "back" of the bucket is facing my cubbies, I made a second brooch to cover the missing paint on the back.  Who knows?  Someday I may choose to showcase the tiny scoop as the front of my container!

Now, every time I walk into the room my eyes are drawn to the happy flowers!  Thankfully my "heart" kept me from throwing away a perfectly good container; and the craftiness of the lovely Lucy made it all seem brand new!  Now to buy the walnut shells...

8 comments:

  1. Great save. I love the little bouquets!!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie! Lucy is just wonderfully crafty and her tutorials are so easy to follow!

      Delete
  2. Great idea and great save. Thank you for the intro to attic 24, loved it. Absolutely wonderful work, I really enjoyed wandering around the blog.
    Red Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you like her blog. Maybe you can find some ideas for Christmas gifts there?

      Delete
  3. Lin...what a cute little bucket. I love that it has a cover (good for hiding things) and I love the color! Also, sometimes when I need a bit of paint for a "cover up", I use nail polish. The right color nail polish has saved many a cheap rummage sale item! But, your flowers are very attractive as well!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! Carrie W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carrie! May your holiday be filled with love, peace, and lots of yummy turkey!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I know nobody but me would ever see the damage, but it just "killed" me that it was there! The flowers covered it up and added a bit of a color "pop" to the pink metal. Win/win!

      Delete