Wednesday, November 19, 2014

KEEPING WARM...



It is freezing in my neck of the woods tonight!  I cannot believe we are at 30 degrees Fahrenheit   ALREADY and are expected to drop into the 20s as the night goes on.  It's too early in the season for this kind of cold!!!  I am just thankful that I do not live in the area of New York that is being hit so hard by the lake effect snow.  

Since it is just me home during the day, I am trying to keep myself reasonably warm, without owing the utility company my life savings!  I have the thermostat set to 68 degrees, run the gas fireplace on its own thermostat also set to 68, burn a candle for some additional ambiance to make me think I'm warm and keep the kettle filled for a constant flow of yummy piping hot tea.  

To offset the increasing bills, I am keeping all of the lights off, but one in the kitchen.  Fortunately the light carries into our family room and provides plenty of illumination to play on my IPAD.  I refuse to turn on the TV when I can be perfectly entertained by my battery powered tablet.  

Today I put on a long sleeved t-shirt, jeans, socks and shoes.  I thinks it is time to add a sweater to my daily ensemble...and maybe a pair of leg warmers if I can find a free crochet pattern on Ravelry.  

So, dear friends, what other tips can you give me for staying cozy and warm WITHOUT breaking the bank?  I can't wait to hear your ideas!

Toddles...





8 comments:

  1. It's cold here too. I've started putting rugs up against the doors, bubble wrap on the Windows and following the sun around the house, opening and closing curtains and blinds to get full Sun warmth and blocking drafts. Red Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make draft dodgers to put up against the windows. I really don't have any extra linens to use. Thanks for the ideas!

      Delete
  2. Ahh, Lin sometimes I think not breaking the bank is a hurdle I will never quite reach when it comes to heating costs.

    We dress in layers, keep the temperature down, I have started to leave the oven door slightly ajar after using it let the heat escape into the house, and drink lots of hot liquids.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have left the oven door open a few times and have actually started leaving the teapot open after I heat water. Every little bit helps.

      Delete
    2. I dump the hot water from making spaghetti into a sink with the stopper in it and let it warm the room. I don't let it drain out til it has cooled off.

      Red Robin

      Delete
    3. Ooooohhhhhh....good idea! I guess if you live in a house WITHOUT children and pets you could leave the water in the tub too!

      Delete
  3. While sitting down, I'd say use one of your quilts! My other idea I saw on an plane about 10 years ago, it was a very cold flight and the air hostesses had some extra blankets. They wrapped them around their waists like an extra skirt and used the badge with the airline logo to secure them, so they didn't have to worry about them falling down.
    jen dot barnard at btinternet dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! Years ago I had one of those blankets that turn into wraps. I loved it. Bet your idea would work the same way! Thank you!

      Delete