Tuesday, February 19, 2013

TALK ABOUT INSPIRATION!


This past weekend I found a wonderful blog for crocheters who LOVE color!  The name of the blog is Attic24... and even if you don't crochet I think you will find Lucy's blog an incredible explosion of color and whimsy, nestled snugly inside a cocoon of warmth and sentimentality.  She shares lots of photos of her beautiful creations, her lovely home and the gorgeous scenery of her native UK. I hope you love her little bloggy home as much as I do! 

After seeing all of her beautiful scenery shots, I SO want to go to the UK.  Not specifically London (although I do want to get to the Liberty store), but to all of the rural areas she has shared on her blog.  I have always been somewhat of an anglophile, but am becoming more and more so now that the internet has connected our one small world.  Her home is just SO idyllic.

Happy #Crochet Flower Decoration on Attic 24http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/crochet-bag.html  Pattern hereLucy at Attic24 has done it again!  She designed and crocheted this lovely flower wreath!  What a beauty is it. . .and, as always, Lucy is so generous with her photos, tutorials, and explanations.  She used a styrofoam wreath as a base, and to see the entire project, visit her blog at www.attic24typepad.com.Folded blanket by Attic24.
Above are just a few examples of her fabulous work!  They can be found at attic24.typepad.com.

Her crocheting awakens in me a memory of my dear sweet grandmother sitting on the sofa crocheting a beautiful granny afghan, the Crayola colored squares held together by ebony stitches.

Although I have been trying to learn to knit since before Christmas, I'm not getting much better at it.
So I pulled out my cotton yarn and a crochet hook and set to work on figuring out how to make a Swiffer cover to replace the disposable, high priced sheets.



I had it done in no time flat and I am really happy with how it turned out. I am SO much faster with crochet than I am with knitting!  My dear grandmother taught me just the single crochet and double crochet when I was about 10 years old.  Back then I made all kinds of crocheted bags, scarves, and hats.  I then put my hook away until dear hubby and I started dating and he bought himself a new car.


I made him an afghan to keep in his car...and it still sits on the rocker in my sewing room.  A few years after we were married I made a ripple afghan for my folks.  Then once again my hook was relegated to the bottom of my sewing box.

Reading her blog has rekindled my love of crochet and my new-found love of color!  I decided I wanted to put together a "go-bag" to grab whenever I am heading out and think I may be able to accomplish a couple of rows of crochet.  I searched all over and, though I could find plenty of tote bags, nothing was catching my fancy.  Then I remembered a BRIGHT, cheerful bag my aunt had gotten years ago as a "free with purchase" gift.  She had no desire to use it and passed it on to me.  Did I still have it?  Oh I sure hoped I did...it would be absolutely PERFECT to hold my colorful, crochet-y goodness.  Now, where did I put it?  After a few minutes of frantically opening cabinet doors my eyes spotted a glimmer of bright pink.  FOUND!!!

 
It is absolutely wonderful with its bright stripey goodness...and even has a matching zippered pouch in which I can store my crochet hooks, small scissors, needle and tape measure.



I am totally in love and have been moving my newest treasure from one place to another in my sewing room trying to find it a perfect home (for the few occasions it isn't by my side, lol)! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, she does lovely work. That go bag is so nice and colourful, I should make one for my knitting.... Perhaps when the play is finally over.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie -

    I don't know where you get the ENERGY for all you do...how you manage to fit the play in with your substituting, in with your knitting, in with the things you do around the house! You just amaze me! Remember to rest every once in a while too, lol.

    ReplyDelete