Wednesday, August 27, 2014

HANDLING STRESS....

Life here in the cottage is NUTS!  No two ways about it, life is crazy and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it!

We got back Dad's test results and there is another new cancer in his lung.  We will be going back down to the city at the beginning of September to discuss the particulars with the doctor and then he will be operated on come September 11th.  He has decided this is the LAST time he is going through surgery.  At almost 82 years old he figures he isn't going to live a whole lot longer and something else will probably take him before the slow growing cancer has a chance to take him.  So after this surgery he is going to "wait and see" and possibly consider something like radiation therapy in the future.  My Dad is handling this all well, but my Mom is beside herself.  Unfortunately, telling her to calm down doesn't really do anything.  Calming needs to come from within.  I am trying to remind myself of that!

Due to the stress, my health issues have flared much worse.  My pain has been more intense, my tremor is more pronounced and frequent and I have started having "twitches" or "tics" when I lie in bed at night trying to go to sleep.  I'm keeping myself and Dear Hubby awake!  My doctor has been discussing relaxation and stress relief with me.  I am supposed to remember to "breathe".  I find myself either hyperventilating or holding my breath numerous times throughout the day.  My muscles are tense, which makes everything worse.  I can't take any type of anti-inflammatory for the pain because once again I am bleeding internally and am becoming anemic.  I did NOT need this right now, lol. At last consultation with my gastroenterologist, the only cure for me is surgery.  Nope, not ready to handle that right now!  So please, hook up the IV iron and pump me full.  I've got too much on my plate right now to even think about surgery for me!

After I finished my Aunt's quilt I began work on a set of place mats for a friend.  Her kitchen is decorated in Campbell's Soup decor.  I don't know if it is the colors, my eyes, or the time of year/sunshine but I just can't seem to get enough light to work past noon! 


 

So, this past Friday Dear Hubby took me to Ikea to get a new floor lamp.  It is a Kvart.  I absolutely LOVE the amount of light it provides.  It was a breeze to put together until I reached the screws.  



Oh. My. Goodness.  Those screws were TINY!  Look at the size compared to the head of a pin!  I was trying to put them into the lamp alone.  Not a good idea.  I was shaking, tremoring, screaming and using more four letter words than the situation probably called for.  But, my stress level is Through. The. Roof!  Dear Hubby pulled himself up the stairs (despite his horrendous pain) and took over building the lamp for me.  God, I don't know what I would do without him.  I am truly blessed. 

Back to the placemats...


This is how my work space looks right now.  I have tried to hoop that placemat numerous times and it is always crooked.  Time to stop!  My work table is a MESS, and I find it really difficult to work in messiness!  However, I need all of those supplies to construct the placemats and I don't want to have to keep pulling them out of storage at every step, lol. 

I ordered the Campbell's Soup fabric on Spoonflower.  Then I searched the internet to find a "soup themed" embroidery.  There wasn't much to pick from, but I did find one I really liked.


This is the machine embroidery I just finished a few moments ago.  It is the fourth one I have done.  I had hoped to finish the last three today (I'm giving her 6) so I could assemble them for delivery this weekend.  BUT, even dear Ellie (my sewing machine) is having a bad day!  This ONE embroidery resulted in a broken needle and broken thread - twice!  What the heck?  Machine embroidery, especially all one color, should be easy!  Just hoop the fabric, thread the needle and push start! 

I"m taking the hint and stopping EVERYTHING today!  I am going to head downstairs, pour a glass of wine and plop myself down in front of the TV praying for something mindless to watch.  Maybe I will see if I remember any Lamaze from 26+ years ago.  Lamaze is nothing but relaxation and focus and I could sure use a strong dose of both right now!

So, if I am not around for a while...don't panic.  I will return once I am calmer.  That could be in the next few hours, days or weeks after Dad's surgery is over.  As usual, we would all sincerely appreciate any prayers, thoughts or virtual hugs you could send his way.

Toodles... 

10 comments:

  1. Sorry everything is so difficult. Life can be very hard indeed. Take care sweet friend, you will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Mel. I usually function, at least emotionally, pretty well under stress. But, this time too many things are piling up. Time to rest and try to bolster "me" to juggle it all.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you are having so much stress right now. The place mats will be just lovely once they are done. Take it easy and rest when you can.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. I just finished my glass of wine, lol. This week I did have my four glasses, my Dr. would be pleased! I do feel more relaxed, lol.

      Delete
  3. I too have some issues like yours, but I use topical prescribed Voltarin which is an antiinflamatory, but does not go through your gut. Also tell Mom to do something that you know she likes to get her breathing again. Does she sew/quilt, garden, bowl? Tell her to go do something as my mother used to say "Even if it's wrong!" LOL HIH
    Sharon in NJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon,
      Thanks for the topical Voltaren suggestion! I will mention it to my doctor! Unfortunately mom has absolutely no hobbies!

      Delete
  4. Lin...so sorry for all your problems. Try to take care of yourself and do some things that make you feel better. As they say in aviation, "put the oxygen mask on yourself first". You will be in my thoughts! Carrie W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carrie! I'm trying hard to calm down and slow down. I know the next month is going to be even worse with Dad's surgery next week.

      Delete
  5. Thinking of you all - take care!

    ReplyDelete