Saturday, March 15, 2014

HAPPY WORLDWIDE QUILTING DAY.....


I didn't get any sewing or quilting done today, but I did finally finish up the designing of the central theme portion of my aunt's quilt and I have made a test block from scrap material.  I've also purchased the necessary machine embroidery patterns.  On Monday I will begin test embroidery in a single color thread on scrap material, so I can figure out the final layout with "actual size" embroideries.  Then, once all of the "testing" is done I will begin work on the actual quilt. 

Since this is the first time I will be using applique on a quilt I have to wait for my heat resistant template material to arrive...and I have to go to the store and buy liquid starch!  A new technique in a new design "Christmas gift" quilt.  I don't put much pressure on, do I? LOL.  My mom was shocked when she saw my design process.  She thought I just bought a pattern and made it in the colors I wanted, lol.  Actually, I've NEVER made a quilt using a pattern...and the process of following another's ideas totally intimidates me!  Crazy, huh? 

I consider myself having started on my aunt's quilt as of this past week and I figure it will take about 3 to 4 months to finish it.  That should leave me enough time to hopefully finish a quilt for Dear Hubby's Christmas gift!

6 comments:

  1. You are so clever designing your own quilts - I have never quilted but I do admire all the work that goes into them - I will be keeping a look out for the finished article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorna! I love the designing part the best! I will post updates as I go along. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Good luck on the applique! I love applique...that is where my quilting started 30 years ago! I stopped in between times but that has always been where my sewing heart was. I plan on starting again next few months. I have been wanting to do a table top cover for my kitchen table (NO TABLE CLOTH!!) and am going to be doing house there and most quilt their houses, but I am going to applique mine. Barns and country houses have been where I thought I would start. Just have to find the patterns in some coloring book pages! And I just do it the old fashioned way with iron on interfacing and the zigzag stitch. Don't stress yourself... you will do fine! It is alot of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheri! I have had a really hard time finding good old fashioned simple line coloring books in my area! Guess as the world has gotten more complex so has play! Your table top cover sounds great. Ultimately I would like a table topper, runner on top of my island, placemats and napkins for every holiday and season. Eventually, lol. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Fun! Fun! Fun! Liquid starch is a staple in my sewing room. =)

    ReplyDelete