Thursday, March 10, 2016

BACK TO SEWING...


Today is my first attempt at sewing in my new sewing room.  Oh. My. Word...it is STRANGE!  Something just feels "off" despite everything being in the exact same relative position to my body as it was in my old sewing room.  Part of it could be that it has been months since I touched my sewing machine.  Most problematic, though, is the horrific lighting in here.  We are going to have a bunch of "high hats" put in the ceiling, but that will have to wait until we build up our coffers from the expense of the flood and my sewing storage units.  In the meantime I am stuck with just the lights you see in the photo.  Not good during the day and totally impossible at night.  Oh well.  I will make it work for the time being.  Thank goodness today I started sewing in here by working on my charity quilt.  Not that I want my charity quilt to be less than my best work, but if I messed up on the little guy's quilt...I would be heartbroken!  Maybe by the time I am done sewing today it will all feel more comfortable and familiar?  I sure hope so!  Wish me luck!

Toodles...

4 comments:

  1. You will love the extra room for designing your quilts and once the lighting is to your liking (I understand perfectly as the lighting in my sewing/craft room leaves a great deal to be desired) you will be sewing up a storm.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With every little thing I put in place, I love this room more! I am missing light and also a ceiling fan. I will have to look into getting one with short blades since my storage piece goes almost to the ceiling. I had so much FUN sewing yesterday. I had forgotten how much I love it in the time I have been away from my machine. You inspire me with all of the clothing you sew. I have a pattern for summer PJs I want to try...but I keep putting it off in lieu of more quilts! Some day, LOL.

      Delete
  2. Lin,

    What about some daylight simulation bulbs ? It wouldn't be particularly expensive to get a few of those standard anglepoise lamps that you could use specifically in the area who were working in ? I know I often see them advertised in cross stitch magazines, perhaps google and see if theres something you could use ?

    Love the big room and all the storage !

    Rinty and family x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rinty, I am SO happy to hear from you! J has offered me two of his floor lamps from when he was in his apartment. I won't keep them, but they will make seeing a little easier until we get the overhead lighting. I was doing a few things around the house earlier today and Dear Hubby said, "Why don't you go sew while you have good daylight? You can always do this stuff at night." He didn't have to tell me twice! I am currently working on my charity quilt. It is "scrappy", which is really difficult for me since I am very much symmetric and matching, LOL. However, I have come up with a design that will be "scrappy" while allowing me to still make it cohesive. I just hope I don't love it too much to give it away! Then I would have to make another one! Hope you and yours are doing well. Drop me a line when you have a chance!

      Delete